Monday, November 19, 2012

Krystal Shannan Interviews - Robin Danner - THE PRINCES BOUND


Please help me welcome Robin Danner to the blog! So excited to have you here today...

Tell us a little about yourself. 

Hi, Krystal! Thanks for having me here!

It's my pleasure to have you!

I’m Robin Danner and I write sweet and sexy historicals. I live in Alabama with my husband and three sons. When I’m not writing, I enjoy watching reality television and singing karaoke … quite possibly off-key! 

I am a graduate of Troy University and published my first novel not long after earning a degree in Biology. I work full-time and shuffle my time between writing, work, and my family. Readers can find out more about me at http://robindanner.webs.com

Did you always want to be an author? What made you choose to write romance?

I’ve always loved to write, but I did not seriously consider becoming a published author until my last year of college. I’ve been writing romance for my own entertainment (and later on, for my cousins) since I was a pre-teen. I had all sorts of stories that I wrote in composition notebooks and kept hidden from everyone. Romance is pretty much the only genre I read, so I naturally veered toward it with my own writing.

What is your favorite part of being a writer/author?

My favorite part is bringing characters to life on the page! One of the most awesome feelings in the world is rereading your own book(s) and thinking “Did I seriously write this?” It’s so much fun to fall in love with your characters all over again.

Tell us a little about your book. What inspired you to write it?

The Princes Bound is the first book in my new historical series. I set out to write it shortly after the birth of my first son. The title actually came to me first. Bound and Determined was the direction I was going, so I ended up with The Princes Bound and The Princes Determined

The Princes Bound deals with the romance between Nadia, a female soldier in the Noventian army, and Mathis, the prince of Isidor.  When Mathis refuses to attend the wedding of his brother, Talin, Nadia is sent to abduct him and bring him to Noventia.

Prince Talin’s trusted captain, Nadia, is ordered to abduct his brother, Prince Mathis of Isidor, and bring him to the wedding of Talin and the daughter of their family’s sworn enemy. Loyalties are tested and enemies gather as Mathis and Nadia’s inescapable attraction threatens to bind the pair together.

***


Nadia waited for his swim to come to an end. When it did, she was ready. As his bare feet stepped onto the mossy bank, she leaped from her hiding spot and tackled him to the ground. She pressed the point of her dagger to a prominent vein in his neck.
At first, he appeared shocked by her attack. When he realized she was a woman, he let out a hearty laugh.
“What sort of seduction is this? Tell me, sweet lady, did Trevor put you up to this?”
His voice was silky smooth, but a hard edge underlined the words. She could tell he didn’t like being bested; it was apparent by the firm way he held his jaw.
“I’m afraid I don’t know any Trevor. Now do as you’re told, Your Highness, and you won’t be harmed.”
His beautiful eyes narrowed in warning. “I am the prince of this realm, and I order you to sheathe your weapon at once.”
“I’m afraid I can’t do that.”
His damp skin soaked through her clothing, and she repressed a shiver at the chill. She was a soldier, and a soldier couldn’t afford to show weakness.
The prince moved under her, and she was nearly jostled to the ground. She tightened her grip on the dagger and pressed it sharply to his neck. “Careful, Prince. We wouldn’t want to spill any royal blood today. I promise you, as long as you follow my command, you will remain safe.”
His body went lax, but his eyes continued to flash with unconcealed anger. “Who sent you?”
It was too early to reveal all, so she attempted to change the subject. “A fairer question would be what is a prince doing out at night without his guard?”
Although he had to know he was trapped, his chin lifted a notch. “My kingdom is a peaceful one.”
His composure was commendable.
Nadia glanced over her shoulder to instruct the recruit. “Stefan, fetch his Highness’ clothing and be quick about it.”

LOVE IT!

Do you plot and outline or do you just write?  Plotter or Pantser?

Total pantser, right here! Sometimes I may have a general idea of where I want a book to go, but ninety percent of the time I just sit at my computer and start typing. I figure it out as I go. It’s amazing the good ideas that come to you when you don’t tie yourself to an outline.

With my Princes series, it ended up nothing like I thought it would when I set out to write out. My husband gave me valuable input and I ended up writing the third book, The Princes Knighted, as a result. I have plans for a fourth and fifth book, but if I hadn’t bounces ideas off my husband, this series would have ended with two books.

Can you tell us about the process of getting your first book published?

It was a long, winding road! I got a contract right out of college, but then the owner of the company got sick and had to close. By then, I was e-published with another company and I sent my first book to them. That company ended up going bankrupt! Apparently my first book is cursed. I’m scared to try and rerelease it!

What advice would you give new authors?  What have you learned about the business?

The best way to fight writer’s block is to just end the scene and begin a fresh one. I finally learned this for myself when I started writing again in May. It’s helped me so much! I used to stare for hours at a scene, without adding a single word. Now if I get stuck, I just end the scene and keep going. I can always go back and flesh out the scene later. 

As for the business, I’m still learning everyday! I feel I’ve become a better writer with every book I publish, but there are so many things I don’t know yet. For example, promotion is a side I know next-to-nothing about. 

Do you have another book in the works?

I have several! The Princes Determined is coming to Liquid Silver on Nov 19, 2012 and The Princes Knighted follows on Jan 7, 2013. Stroke of Midnight, a short historical paranormal, is coming to Etopia Press in December 2012.

I’m working on the fourth Princes book as we speak!

What do you like to do in your free time, besides read and write of course?

I don’t have much free time, but I love karaoke and watching reality television. My favorite shows are American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, and The X Factor. As you can probably tell, music plays a huge part of my life!

Whenever I can, I like to go play blackjack. I haven’t been in over a year though.

Where do you dream of going on vacation?

Santorini, Greece! The only problem is I’m scared of flying!

I hate to tell you.... it would be a really long drive and an even longer boat ride. LOL.

Boxers or Briefs?

This is hilarious…I ask the same exact question with every interview I conduct! And mine is the standard answer, boxer briefs!

Cookies or cake?

I am not a cake person at all, so cookies for me! But I prefer cream cheese brownies. They’re my weakness.

Pizza or hamburger?

Oooh, a toughie! I like both! But I will have to choose cheeseburgers (Don’t hand me a burger without cheese on it. Hehehehe.)

Beer, Wine, or mixed drink?

Now which category would shots of tequila fit in? ; )

(Hero/Heroine Character Questions)
What were your first impressions of each other?
Mathis is not favorably impressed with Nadia at first, which is quite understandable considering she abducts him. Nadia is immediately attracted to him, but her dedication and loyalty refuses to let her admit it.
What’s your favorite characteristic of each other?
I love that Mathis is a scholar. Nadia’s determination is my favorite characteristic.

What are your plans for the near future?  

Hopefully continue writing and releasing books! 

Robin will be awarding sword earrings and a knight figurine to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour. Be sure to leave a comment with your email address and visit all her other fabulous stops as well!

Find Robin Danner @



2 comments: