Friday, May 18, 2012

Fabulous Author Friday ~ Melissa Keir


So excited to have Melissa Keir with us today!


Without further ado......


Thank you for having me visit your blog today!  I’m excited to share my book with your followers.  This story means a great deal to me and is one that has a special place in my heart.

Thank you for being here.  Please tell us a little about yourself.
I am a wife, mother, author, reviewer, editor and full time elementary school teacher.  My house is like the Brady Bunch- but without Alice.  We have a blended family with his two kids and my two kids, a ton of laundry, two spoiled dogs and a grocery bill that rivals the national debt.

Glad I'm not the only one with a giant grocery bill, LOL.

Did you always want to be an author?
I have always wanted to be a writer of some sort.  I didn’t realize that I would be an author. I thought maybe a poet or journalist but life is constantly changing and I’m always learning and growing.  As a child, I wanted to be a singer, model and nurse.  Today my dream is to race funny cars.  Who knows what fate has in store for me.

What is your favorite part of being a writer/author?
My favorite part about being an author is the ability to share the stories that live in my head.  I like meeting new people and enjoy getting to know other authors. 

Tell us a little about your book.
“Second Time’s the Charm” is the story of a middle-age divorcee who was burned by her ex-husband.  He made her doubt herself and love.  When she meets her best friend’s ex-husband, she finds herself falling for him but can she take a chance on love, especially with her best friend’s ex?

When did you start writing and when did you 
finish your first book?
I’ve written all my life.  But for “Second Time’s the Charm” I started writing it in late October and finished it in early November.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I get my inspiration from the people around me and in my life.  My family and friends are real people with real issues.  I want to write and share stories about things that are relevant to people today.

Do you plot and outline or do you just write?  Plotter or Pantser?
I sit down and write.  My story ideas come to me at the strangest times, so I write those down, but then when it is time to write the story, I let the characters and the story come alive.  My muse always surprises me with where it takes my ideas.

Can you tell us a little about the process of getting
your first book published?
I had an interesting time getting my first book published.  I was working as a book reviewer (and full time teacher) and was looking for another opportunity.  A friend recommended a new publishing house.  I was hired as an editor and decided to submit my story to them. It was accepted.  Needless to say, I was over the moon and couldn’t stop telling everyone.  But then the publishing house closed because of a family issue and my story was left with no home.  Liz Crowe, an author, friend recommended that I submit to Rebel Ink Press and the story was accepted.  Going through the cover and editing process was exciting but nothing could compare with seeing your book on Amazon.

What book have you most recently released?
My first book was a short story “Forever Love” in the Love, Again anthology that came out in February.  I loved being a part of an anthology with so many other great authors.  Then “Second Time’s the Charm” was released in April.  I have two more books currently in the process of being released in June.  And of course a bunch of more plots are running through my head and stories on my computer.

What was your favorite part of the book?
My favorite part of “Second Time’s the Charm” was when Lissa meets Alex at the hospital for the first time.  She is clearly in lust with his body but is fighting with her emotions over him because he was Chloe’s ex-husband and she’d heard so many bad things about him.

That would be a difficult position to be in....

Rate your story in terms steaminess?
“Second Time’s the Charm” is slightly steamy. There is passion between the characters but not the graphic descriptions of the sexual acts.  Other books that I’ve written are steamier.

Do you have another book in the works?
My next book that is coming out is “Protecting His Wolfe” which is the story of a police detective who falls for the witness to a murder. Can he protect her and keep her safe?  Is the feelings that they have just because of the intensity of the danger or is it really love?

What advice would you give new authors?  What have you learned about the business?
My advice for new writers is to keep writing and keep submitting.  It is important to hone your craft by learning all you can about writing and putting it into practice.  Networking is an important part of being an author.  Other authors are a wonderful support and offer great advice.  I’ve learned that writing your story is the easy part.  It is the marketing and getting it out there that is the most challenging.  No author should expect to be an overnight sensation like J.K. Rowling.  It takes time and constant work to get your stories into the hands of the readers.

Boxers or Briefs?
I like the tight boxer briefs. 

Pizza or hamburger?
Pizza is not just for dinner, but is wonderful for breakfast as well!

Yes, it is under-appreciated as a breakfast item *giggle*.  I love cold pizza for breakfast.

Beer, Wine, or mixed drink?
I am definitely a mixed drink kind of girl.  I love to mix coconut rum in my lemonade and enjoy a fruity little glass of enjoyment!

(Character Questions) 
Lissa Vincent from “Second Time’s the Charm”
What were your first impressions of each other?
I had heard a lot of negative things about Alex from his ex-wife Chloe.  She painted him as some horrible, mean and argumentative man.  I was frightened to meet him at first.  He sounded worse than my own ex-husband.  But when I saw him, lust took over.  Alex oozed sensuality and I wasn’t able to stop my body’s reaction.  It was only when I got to know him, especially around the kids that I got a different picture of his personality and saw for myself that he wasn’t the monster that Chloe portrayed him as.

What’s your favorite characteristic of each other?
My favorite characteristic is that he is an amazing dad.  He really enjoys being around his son Joe and makes my own boys feel like they are the most important people in the world to him.  Physically, I love his hands.  They are rough and large.  They make me think of being cared for and protected.

What are your plans for the near future? 
We escaped to Vegas for our wedding and are now trying to set up a blended household.  You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to combine two homes into one.  Alex has some great furniture but he is going to have to get rid of some of those bachelor pad posters and ratty old sheets.

Second Time’s the Charm 
Excerpt:
Returning shortly with coffee and candy bars, he shared his feast as we sat lost in our own thoughts. While my guess was his thoughts were of concern over his son, my thoughts were all about the carnal man sitting across from me.

Watching him peel open his candy bar was tantalizing and seeing him bring the chocolate to his full bottom lip in a slow tease made my insides turn to jelly. I wanted to be the one he was feasting on. Then he ran his tongue over the tip of the candy bar. No no no! my mind argued. He's Chloe’s ex-husband. An enemy of my friend is my enemy or something like that. This is wrong. He looked up at that moment and caught me watching him and heat flooded my face as he walked over to the seat next to me.

“Do you want what’s left of my candy bar?” I offered sweetly, holding it out towards his generous lips.

Alex opened his mouth and slowly bit into the chocolate bar. “Thanks. That hits the spot.” He grasped my hand. “But you’ve got melted chocolate right here.” He ran his tongue over my fingertips.

My stomach clenched thinking about his lips on other parts of my body.

“I'm glad you're here. Not that this is the best way to meet or the best time to do this but,” he swallowed hard. “I’ve been bugging Chloe for information on you for the last year, ever since I saw a picture of you at her place. I can’t get you off my mind. I’ve been hoping we'd run into each other or that Chloe would take the hint and just introduce us. Will you go out with me sometime?”

Oh, my gosh. I can’t go out with Chloe’s ex. That would be a disaster waiting to happen. Sure, he's gorgeous and sexy, but what will Chloe say?

“Ummm.” I couldn’t think clearly with his tongue running over my fingers. “Sure. I guess so.” What am I doing? He's gorgeous and I’m just plain old me. He can have any woman in this place and he's asking me out? What mess am I getting myself into?

Fantastic excerpt! *fanning self*  I think I might need to go look for 
a bar of chocolate and my husband. 

This has been been fantastic!  Thank you so much for talking to us 
today and sharing.  

Everyone be sure and leave a comment with 
your email to enter the drawing to win a copy of Melissa's new
 book Second Time's a Charm.  

Be sure to visit Melissa Keir @ 



Thank you for having me visit today!  I’m so glad that I could stop by and visit with you and your followers.  I love hearing from readers and can be reached at www.melissakeir.com.  I have information on all my books, silly pictures and blog posts from other authors and on my life.  I hope you will stop by.  Of course you can also reach me on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/AuthorMelissaKeir or twitter @melissa_keir.

13 comments:

  1. Great interview! I'll have to check out your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Nice interview-and thank you for introducing me to a new-to-me author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! So glad you liked it! Thanks for coming by today :-)

      Delete
  3. I really like the concept of this book, and I think a lot of families can relate to the blended family and getting a second chance at love. I also believe in third and fourth chances. Ha. Great interview ladies, it was nice getting to know you Melissa! Nicely done Krystal and I look forward to more author interviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sydney. This is a book that many women can relate to. Best wishes for your continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for the kind words. Yes, I do believe many people can relate to the characters. It is a fact that many marriages don't last, and people want to find love again. I've read just about every book on blended families and yet still struggle with living that life. I would love to hear what everyone thinks of the book once they read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome interview, ladies. I'll add this book to my TBR list for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun interview and love the excerpt. Brings chocolate to a whole new level, lol.

    ReplyDelete